Long-Term Care Insurance (LTCi)
The term Long-term care may make you think of nursing homes and similar facilities. Long Term Care Insurance, though, is not designed to cover the costs of being in a nursing home. Instead, a LTC plan can, in many cases, help you and your family avoid expensive nursing home costs. As we get older, we will likely have additional health care needs beyond the kinds of services Medicare and Medicaid typically cover.
According to longtermcare.gov, the average monthly cost of going into a nursing home in Florida is $6,844 and the average yearly cost is $82,125 – and that’s for a semi-private room. With the right policy, you won’t have to foot this huge bill on your own. You will be protected and you won’t have to cash in all of your assets just for one or two years in a nursing home.
Limitations of Medicare and Medicaid
Under certain circumstances, Medicare and Medicaid may help to cover some of the costs of long-term care services. However, these programs have specific rules and may not cover all of the services you need.
Medicare will pay for a short stay in a nursing facility if you have stayed in the hospital for three days or longer and you are admitted within 30 days of your hospital stay. The largest part of the expenses associated with a nursing home stay are not covered by Medicare though.
Medicaid, designed for people with low income, will provide some long-term care services, to include personal care. There are specific income requirements which you must meet in order to qualify.
Long-Term Care Funding Options
There are several ways you can fund longer-term care, including:
- Pay out of pocket – For the financially fortunate, you can cover the costs of long-term care without paying for long-term care insurance.
- Purchase a long-term care plan – If you are not financially capable of covering the costs of in-home care, long-term care insurance will provide the coverage you need to fund this type of care. It will pay out a specific amount per day, depending on the policy you choose.
- Spend down to qualify for Medicaid – Exhausting your assets for long-term care may cause you to qualify for Medicaid, which may cover some long-term care services.
- Take out a reverse mortgage – In some cases, a reverse mortgage will provide the necessary funds to ensure your long-term care needs are taken care of.
Out of all of the options for long-term care funding, getting an LTCi policy will fit best with most situations. Find out more about how an LTCi policy will benefit you by contacting Thomas & Associates today. Call 904-730-3900 today, and we can help you find the best plan for your needs.
LTC Insurance Purpose, Function and Application
The main purpose of Long-Term Care policies is to assist with the costs for personal care services, based on a predictable daily cost. The amount per day is pre-selected when you purchase the policy. Your plan will help cover daily living activities, such as dressing, bathing or eating.
Most LTC plans are not for medical care; these plans provide financial assistance for more common, every day tasks that become more of a challenge as we age, or as our health declines.
Types of LTC Providers and Services
LTCi is not necessarily medical care. This type of coverage often comes from a private insurance company and fills in the gaps Medicare and Medicaid won’t cover. Services provided by long-term care insurance include:
- Transferring (from a chair to bed, etc.)
- Help using the toilet
- Taking medication
- Money management
- Caring for pets
- Shopping for clothing and groceries
This type of care can be provided in your own home on a long term basis. LTC helps with this kind of daily personal care for the disabled, those with chronic illnesses and other serious conditions.
Thomas & Associates can provide a free, no obligation quote for Long Term Care insurance. Call 904-730-3900.
Features and Benefits of Long-Term Care Insurance
A long-term care insurance policy comes with a few basic features, but there are additional features available, as well. For example, many policies will come with inflation protection, along with nonforfeiture benefits. In addition, some plans may offer other features, including:
- Refund of premium – some or all of your premiums may be refunded, minus the claims amount. However, this features comes with specific terms, such as how the premium may be refunded and age restrictions.
- Waiver of premium – If you are put into a nursing home and your insurance provider begins to pay benefits; this feature will allow your premium to be waived. You won’t have to pay premiums for a specific amount of time, usually 60 to 90 days.
- Restoration of benefits – If you end up in a situation where you don’t need benefits for a specific amount of time, usually 180 days, your insurance provider may return your benefits to the original maximum payout.
Fundamentals of the LTC Partnership Programs
The LTC Partnership Program provide a way for individuals to purchase long-term care insurance coverage to help protect assets they may need to spend down to qualify for Medicaid. A Partnership policy will allow you to use some or all of the benefits of the policy instead of spending down your assets. Once you’ve used the benefits, they will be disregarded when it comes to calculating eligibility for Medicaid.
Contact Thomas & Associates today, and let us help you select a long-term care plan that is best suited to your particular situation.
No Charge and No Obligation
Top 8 Reasons to buy Long Term Care insurance
- Premiums are lower and payouts are higher when you enroll in your 40s and 50s.
- To help protect your assets and personal savings.
- To help preserve your quality of life.
- To relieve the burden of care from your loved ones.
- To help leave your assets to your family, friends or charity
- To enable you to stay in your home for a longer period of time
- To stay with children without depending on them for care—long term care insurance may make it possible for a parent to stay in a child’s home without being dependent on him or her.
- To help you and your family plan for the future.